Thursday 31 January 2019

Independent Shoot 1 - Photo Genres

Independent shoot 1 - Photo Genres 


In this shoot I will be focusing on Landscape. Due to the winter weather, I want to focus on the frosty (or snowy!!). I will be looking at the trees, their winter colours and leaves as well as the hills and valleys in and around Hertfordshire and Essex.

Image bank







Research (of artists and techniques)

The artist that I have chosen to research for my Independent shoot 1 is James Ravilious. Black and white photography of rural life and landscape from the 1970's to 1990's - mainly taken in the west of England, but also in France, Italy, Ireland, Greece, and the English Lake District. Also rural life and landscape of the west of England in colour transparencies.

James' photos represent a sense of tranquility in the countryside. A lot of his photos are based on the farmers and animals that make up the rural areas of Countries. 
This photo above, conveys the farmers bond and dedication to his sheep on a cold, frosty, foggy morning.                                                                                             
In this photo, the sloping hills in the background, with the sheep in the foreground, creates a tranquil  and inviting setting of the countryside.





Contact sheet






Images that need editing

In all these photographs that I have taken, I have needed to edited the brightness and/or curves. 


in the photo above i would ideally like to have focused in on the log pile more and remove the slight edge of the tree that is in the image. I think that this would make a better image overall. 





My best images





AO1: Develop ideas through sustained and focused investigations informed by contextual and other sources, 
demonstrating analytical and critical understanding.

I feel that the artist research was helpful in this study as it helped me to understand the theory on Documentary and made me look at a normal day to day setting in a new light, and made me look of objects that would make a good photo.

I feel that I have created good standard photographs using the techniques that James Ravilious used, however, I also feel that I put my style of photography into my work too. But, I do not think that my photographs would look good in black and white. 

AO3: Record ideas, observations and insights relevant to intentions, reflecting critically on work and progress.

My idea for recording Landscape  for my Independent shoot was to photograph the finer details in nature, and find how different objects, colours and settings can influence a photograph. I feel as though I was inspired by James Ravilious' work.

With reference to my best selected images: I feel that these images link to the topic and to the artist that I studied. All photos were taken using a tripod.

AO2Explore and select appropriate resources, media, materials, techniques and processes, reviewing and refining ideas as work develops.

To take my photos I used a Canon E10 1000D, with multiple lenses. I had to adapt my camera settings to each particular shoot and setting as being in winter the weather can change rapidly along with the light.

Photo 1
Lens : EF-S18-250mm F/3.5-5.6
Exposure : 1/400 sec
F/ : 8 
ISO : 400

Photo 2
Lens : EF-S18-250mm F/3.5-5.6
Exposure : 1/400 sec
F/ : 8
ISO : 400

Photo 3
Lens : Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Exposure : 1/400 sec
F/ : 8
ISO : 400

Photo 4
Lens : EF-S18-250mm F/3.5-5.6
Exposure : 1/400 sec
F/ : 8
ISO : 400

Photo 5
Lens : EF-S18-250mm F/3.5-5.6
Exposure : 1/400 sec
F/ : 8
ISO : 400


AO4: Present a personal and meaningful response that realises intentions and, where appropriate, makes connections between visual and other elements.  

I believe that I have produced a strong series of images inspired by my research of Landscape and the images of James Ravilious.  The final images produced were refined by developing the photo in photoshop using a range of techniques.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Documentary portfolio

Documentary Portfolio